The main advantages of databases in the cloud:
- Fault tolerance. The database can be created in master-slave mode or a clustered configuration in the cloud. And to increase fault tolerance, you can place instances in several data centers.
- Increased security. DBaaS service providers operate in highly secure and trusted environments and use firewalls and antivirus software. Additionally, data security is guaranteed by PCI DSS and No. 152-FZ certification, the ability to isolate environments, use private virtual networks, and flexibly configure the Firewall.
- Scalability. You can independently change the number of CPU cores and the amount of RAM and choose the type and size of hard drives. And thanks to this, the database can be scaled depending on the load.
- Access from any device. You can access a traditional database only through the system on which it is deployed. On the contrary, you can manage a cloud database in the provider’s account – it’s easier to work with data together.
- Cost reduction. By using cloud databases, you save on hardware and staffing costs and convert capital costs into operating costs.
- Certification according to FZ-152. Most Russian providers offer databases deployed in the cloud, which is certified according to FZ-152. As a result, you comply with the law on personal data.
Disadvantages of databases in the cloud:
Impossibility of fine-tuning. The cloud provider configures DBaaS. For security reasons, users do not have access to critical settings.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of S3 Storage
- Flexible scaling. You can store an almost unlimited number and volume of objects in S3 storage – you get as much space as you need now.
- Easy content search. Unique meta tags and URLs make it easy to find files – no need to search through directories and folders.
- Safety. The provider is responsible for protecting data in object stores. But you can use additional methods: manage accounts and access, use ACL (Access Control List) and CORS (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing).
- Automation. In S3 storage, you can automate data management by running certain procedures when objects are loaded or deleted. For example, it automatically processes all new photos or videos thanks to the webhooks function.
- Profitability. You do not need to purchase equipment and maintain it. With S3, you only pay for the resources you use, which is cheaper than storing data in your data center.
Disadvantage Of S3 Storage:
- Not suitable for hot storage. Due to the peculiarities of the internal architecture, there are delays when accessing files in object storage. Therefore, based on S3, it isn’t easy to implement storage for fast data access.