Types Of Cloud Backups
- Easy file copying: In this case, it is better to use storage in S3 storage. Here, you can forget about backups’ size since everything you put there will fit into the object storage. You can also manage your budgets wisely by choosing such a type of object storage as cold, explicitly designed for storing archives, backups, logs, and other rarely used files in the cloud. This method is best suited for media files such as pictures or videos, client documents, and other files. You can also store site backups in S3 storage.
- Cloud server images: Snapshots of the states of virtual machines are regularly saved in the clouds, from which you can then restore their condition in a couple of clicks. It will convert all configuration files and data. At the same time, it is not necessary to save backups manually; you can set a schedule for creating backups – and everything that is needed will happen automatically. This backup method is suitable for services like databases – the sizes of backups are known in advance, and reliability and persistence of copying are at the forefront – this is precisely what cloud backup solves.
- Combined backup methods – for example, database replication to multiple servers, automated copies of images of each server, and periodic uploads of data from databases to object storage for backups. Double-triple reliability is a necessary condition for operating systems with critical data. For example, they store transaction data and other information that can never be lost for finance and logistics.
What To Keep While Backing Up
- Of course, all user and application data is files and databases. In some cases, it is worth adding dumps of key-value storage here.
- Restoring configuration files is an equally important part of system maintenance and often a time-consuming and painstaking part of the work.
- It would help if you also kept backups of logs and logs. These documents can be used to restore the course of events and understand what happened to the code on the eve of the failure.
What Else Is Essential To Know About Backup Storage
- Backup systems are a way to access user data. Therefore, backups must be protected as carefully as the main DBMS and files. This means that a limited number of people within the company should have access to the backup storage, and the most critical data should be encrypted.
- A well-thought-out system of backups in the cloud is part of an adequate policy for restoring IT infrastructure after failures and disasters.
Planning for deploying a system from copies and managing backups is something that IT managers of projects with critical data and transactional storage should pay close attention.