You can create and configure your CDN server (CDN-server). But this requires full-time or outsourced specialists who:
- buy or rent equipment and set up network infrastructure;
- register a domain and order a server;
- set up CDN DNS;
- install SSL certificates;
- install and configure a load balancer;
- check how the CDN works.
This process is complex – creating a CDN service will not work quickly and without significant investments. Creating your CDN-hosting is only rational if existing solutions are not suitable in terms of security, price, or availability.
For most, buying a ready-made solution from a CDN provider is more profitable. In this case, to connect the CDN network to the site, you only need:
- register on the provider’s website and indicate the address of the domain of your website in your account;
- replace the addresses on the site with new ones generated after receiving the CDN configuration.
Ready-made solutions, including Russian CDNs, are easier and cheaper to use. They are versatile and suitable for almost any task.
How To Choose A CDN Provider
Many providers offer CDN services, but each service has its own characteristics. It would help if you considered some parameters to choose a CDN for your tasks.
- Several intermediate nodes: The more points of presence and the wider the geography of their location, the better. But the geography of intermediate nodes should correspond to the distribution of the audience. For example, points of presence in Portugal are unnecessary if the site is aimed at Russians.
- Additional services: Along with the most distributed content delivery network, Russian CDN providers also offer other services: consumption analysis, caching policy and HTTP header management, preloading of very “heavy” content, and complete and selective cache clearing. They will help you flexibly configure your CDN and increase the speed of loading large amounts of data.
- Support for protocols and technologies: The content delivery network (CDN) must support the required technologies: HTTP/2, IPv6, SSL certificates, and others.
- Support quality: It is essential that the provider’s specialists respond quickly to requests and can help in any situation. It is optimal if they can help both experienced users and beginners – for example, they can tell you about CDN in an accessible way: what it is and how it works.
- CDN is a geo-distributed server and network infrastructure that allows you to deliver content to users quickly.
- Using a CDN provides several benefits, from speeding up the site and reducing the load on the central server to increasing protection against DDoS attacks.
- CDN is valid for any business that cares about site availability and content delivery speed.
- You can create and set up a CDN yourself, but it’s complicated and expensive. It is easier to use ready-made solutions – most providers offer CDN in Russia.