Recently, a friend and I talked about what remote management of business processes in an organization is and the basis of successful remote management.
It just so happened that most of my work was related to the remote control. I started from the coordination of small teams and managed a dozen branches throughout Russia. And if the features of remote control are more or less clear, only the lazy did not write about them, then the components of efficiency remain undisclosed. I was bridging this gap.
Remote Management Of Business Processes In An Organization – The Basics Of Efficiency
You’veYou’ve probably already thought about remote control if:
- Your employees are in different locations + you can walk to any of them
- You are planning to expand (new offices, stores, branches, etc.)
- You work in a team scattered all over the world (country, city, etc.)
Remote management of business processes in an organization is based on seven components:
The Current State Of Business Processes
We are interested in the extent to which business processes are autonomous, adaptable, and dependent on direct control. It is the basis of standard management in principle.
- Autonomy Of Business Processes – The independence of the process from individuals, specific conditions, or processes. The higher the dependence of the process on specific people and conditions, the lower the autonomy. For example, suppose the sales process is effective only because a great salesperson implements it. In that case, the autonomy of the process is low because if this person leaves, then the effectiveness will decrease.
- The Flexibility Of Business Processes – The ability of a process to change under certain conditions. For example, if the service algorithm changes due to a change of location, then the process can be considered flexible if the replacement is painless and quick.
- Dependence On Direct Control – Everything is simple here. If your processes depend on direct control, then this reduces the effectiveness of direct control. Will explain. If you, as a leader, are accustomed to keeping everything under control, independently approving many actions, and making decisions alone, you are engaged in manual (direct) control. If in the processes much depends on your opinion, direct order, then the process is not controlled.
Description Of Business Processes
Remote management of a company requires everything to work remotely the same way it does yours. And for this, you need to have a complete and detailed description of everything.
As one friend of mine wrote, you need to be able to separate yourself from yourself. In other words, I must carefully describe business processes, methods, principles, philosophy, etc. It is necessary to “copy” the whole essence to “unfold” it in a new body, in a new place. The description should be such that it can be understood by everyone to whom it is intended. The simpler and more accessible, the better. It is probably the fundamental principle for the successful transfer and scaling of activities.
The same principle works when preparing a franchise. In essence, these are just the principles of regular scaling. These are the features of the remote control.Take care of a good description. Business process management in an organization is complex without it.
The decision-making system should be based on KPIs. Key performance indicators are NOT metrics that relate to staff motivation. Yes, they may or may not be related. The essence of KPI is that it is a system of interrelated indicators that reflect the system’s real “life”. With its help, you should be able to understand what is happening at any time and if something goes wrong, then find the reason. The KPI system is a dashboard for all business processes and business as such.
Communication is the glue that holds the business together. Communication efficiency depends on how convenient and fasts the communication system is and what communication rules are used in the company. The effectiveness of communications lies in the receipt of relevant and complete information at the right time.
Of course, in the reaction and decisions made, it is essential to inform the source by the way. In general, the efficiency and effectiveness of remote management depend on how quickly and freely information moves between processes.
Business process management in an organization depends on the speed and quality of communications. Features of remote control very often run into communication.
Company Principles, Rules, And Culture
Just an example – if it is customary in a company to wait for a kick from the bosses, then this is the culture. And yes, this option is disastrous. If processes define “how to do,” then principles and culture define “why to do”. And the answer to the question “why?” provides an effective solution to issues when they go beyond the usual. It’sIt’s like in life, if a person finds a wallet on the street, then it depends only on his principles and culture whether he returns it to its owner or not.
The presence of at least one adherent “on earth”. There must always be at least one reliable person on site. It is insurance against risks. That is why, for example, in DoDo Pizza, franchisees come to study in Syktyvkar. They not only learn but also adopt the culture of the company. It puts principles, culture, and motivation into heads and creates adherents “on the ground”. Remote control of a company requires not only heads but reliable hands on site.
There might be an absence of a gap in the “task – execution” link. It partly concerns communications, but I would like to emphasize it. If a task has come from the center, then there should be an appropriate reaction to it. Lag in the reaction is an indicator of the gap between the remote location and the whole company.
Please note, I have not said anywhere about control and information systems. Control is not needed if the scorecard and its monitoring are debugged. IT systems – if the process is not tied to the execution of operations using software, i.e. there is no machine control of process indicators.
The whole question is only in preferences and budget. If the process, in any case, involves manual data entry, for example, the number of illiquid assets at the end of the day, then it makes no difference where to enter this data – into your database or super mega heaped SAP.Remote management of business processes in an organization depends on how all seven points are implemented.